Thursday, February 13, 2014

Story Bundles

As this is my last year (last semester in fact!) in education, I've realized that this is where I should be learning most. I've completed internship, so now I know what I still need to know better before I get out into the classrooms and teach!! This semester I find that all of my classes are connected. I keep hearing the same ideas of pedagogy, morals, stories, assessment, and much more! In many classes the profs talk about stories and how important they are. We learn more through each other and the stories we share through real life, current experiences, rather than reading a textbook from however many years ago from one person's account on an event.

Story bundles are what Cindy Swanson refers to in her thesis paper titled "An Autobiographical Narrative Inquiry into the lived tensions between Familial and School Curriculum-Making Worlds." (We read her thesis paper in ECE 425). She explains that a story bundle "represents the stories each person carries" (p. 26).

I think stories are a very important aspect to learning. In my classroom I will be sure to include stories as a way for my students to learn from one another and collaborate as a community. Stories are interactive and when telling to classmates, I find that I am very attentive and want to know more all the time! In our ECE 425 class, we tell lots of stories about past teaching experiences and the morals and experience I have gained from my classmates' stories is overwhelming!

I find that through telling stories it is also a way of venting or releasing tension from ourselves and our stories. If we had a negative experience and share with others, they offer advice and share their thoughts. I've realized that if I had a bad experience with something, some other people also had a bad experience with that as well!

What are you thoughts on "story bundles" or telling stories as a way of learning?


6 comments:

  1. Stories are fantastic! I love hearing stories from my classmates and their experiences - I agree with you that it is one of the best ways to learn! Furthermore, I love hearing the stories of my students and they love to share. During my internship we did a unit in ELA about timeless narratives which focused on First Nations and Greek Stories. As an introduction to this unit, we did some fun story-telling ice breakers that the students loved! The stories that we told in these activities were more for fun and just a way to relax a little bit but after that, I had the students think of a story that they learned something from and share it with the class. It was great! They all learned something from one another or there was the typical 'I remember that.' I really felt a community start to build in our classroom which was exciting and fun all at the same time. Students love to share so I think providing a comfortable space in which they can do so is critical in developing strong relationships and a welcoming environment in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that story bundles are essential to teaching. We need to understand what we bring to the classroom as teachers; our biases, beliefs, strengths, weaknesses, and past. Relationship is essential to teaching and it is only when we are honest about ourselves that we can truly create a relationship with our students. I also enjoy how Swanson talks about the interconnectedness of all our stories- since we as teachers affect so many- we become part of their story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite quotes:

    “Universities come to know about things through studies, organizations come to know about things through reports and people come to know about things through stories" Richard Axelrod

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories are critical to deep understanding. Each and every one of us has a story, we have stories to share, stories we connect with, and stories we will ultimately learn from.

    I am actually in the process of crafting an Inquiry Investigation with my amazing TL in which we are looking at the power of stories in our lives…

    Our essential question is simplisticaly complex:

    "How can stories shape us?"

    It transends almost every aspect of our curriculum, it differentiates for almost every learner, & provides the opporutnity for students to connect, ask questions, and imagine the possibilities of learning.

    Will keep you posted and if you ever want to connect you can find us here:

    www.kidblog.org/msscottlindsaysclass

    Looking forward to see how this opportunity to learn shapes where we go for the rest fo the year:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alannah,

    Ah, "the truth about stories is that that is all we are." Tomas King.

    I find so much beauty in knowing that your teachers begin with story. When you write about feeling the connectedness of your classes, I wonder if part of this pull comes through the stories you have heard, the stories you hear your profs and classmates share, and the stories that are beginning to become visible for you. Sharing our stories of experience has this way of allowing us to come to live alongside our stories in a gentler way, perhaps being able to retell and relive our tensioned stories.

    I am thinking about how wonderous stories can be and how we keep learning with them. Last year I moved schools. I moved from a traditional high school to an alternate high school. Now I feel like I can no longer see around corners; last year I felt I had heard most stories, could anticipate so so much. As I learn to share my stories in this new space, I am also learning to listen more. I am learning to attend to the complexity of the experience of our stories. I am learning to listen. Oh, I am forever learning to listen...

    I am reminded every day that students arrive to school spaces with a vast life curriculum; I am reminded everyday that it is from their stories of experience, from our interconnected stories of experience that we should begin.

    Thank you Alannah for reminding me to begin with story.

    Cori Saas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay, thanks got commenting!! I agree that kids learn from each other and it definitely builds community between the kids.

    Dean, thanks for the comment! I love that quote. I'll be sure to add that to my "weekly quotes!"

    Jana, thank you also for the comment on my post! I like that question "how do stories shape us?" I think sometimes we don't realize that stories truly do shape us. I think a different question to lead off of that would be, "to what extent do stories shape us?"

    Cori, thanks for the comment! I also really like your quote from King. I really like what you said about a "life curriculum." I think every student, experienced with life or not, has a life curriculum. I think that's important to remember about every student. They all have knowledge on different areas and when we tell stories and collaborate we learn the most!!

    Thanks everybody for the comments!!!! I appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete